Monday, January 1, 2018

30/12

After nearly 22 hours of flight time, 2 transits, 6 ibuprofen & 4 paracetamol, a  few crappy movies and music that gave me a splitting headache, I finally arrived in Athens. It was the typical Greek Sunny day which I saw 3 years ago. Clear blue sky with no clouds. The wind was cold but did not bite.

I had booked myself in a small apartment close to the airport before flying off to the island of Kos the next day. First task, I had to try and get a sim card so I can call up my accommodation shuttle to pick me up. And they don't sell any at all at the airport...

"Try the post office, I think they sell international sim." The information lady said. When I asked the post office lady, who had a giant poster on the back wall yelling about international sim and internet packaging, as well as a small pamphlet booth on her side.

"Hmm. International sim? Not worth it, too expensive. You should just buy a local sim outside."
'But I need a sim now. At least, can you tell me what the package is like?'
"No, I don't know it, but it's so expensive. Show me where you are staying...ah, definitely should have phone company in that area", There was nothing I could do since she refused to sell me the international sim.

I lined back up to the information lady enquring about a public phone. She told me regarding a coin operated pay phone upstairs, which meant I had to go to the convenient store to split up on $20 note. The convenient store guy told me he's never seen a coin operated phone, but wished me luck. Thank goodness he was wrong.

The apartment was in the middle of no where. Tina's apartment. Tina is the name of my wife, the owner tells me. The room is small, only has a space to fit one double bed with a rim of space around it that I have trouble walking through. The shower was a small space where I could touch the toilet seat in front of me and the sink to my left side. But it was enough for me. I could see the ocean in the distance. Tina had 2 son. And I saw the 6 year old run up to her with a bunch of wild flowers he picked in the field somewhere, and she gave him a big hug.

I was still in pain, and took more ibuprofen and paracetamol and slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment